KU Leuven in facts and figures
ONE OF EUROPE'S HIGHLY RANKED UNIVERSITIES
- KU Leuven ranks consistently in Europe's top-15 universities in the Times Higher Education ranking. Ranks #47 worldwide in the 2017-2018 edition of the same ranking.
- In the 2018 QS World University Rankings it occupies the #71 position worldwide, and #21 in Europe.
A COMPREHENSIVE UNIVERSITY
- Founded in 1425, 14 campuses in 10 cities across Flanders, 16 faculties, 57,286 students, 20,524 staff members, +250,000 alumni.
- 78 bachelor’s programmes (74 taught in Dutch, 4 in English).
- 205 master’s programmes (141 taught in Dutch, 62 in English, 2 in French).
- 44 advanced master’s programmes (19 taught in Dutch, 24 in English and 1 in Spanish).
RESEARCH & IMPACT
- 7,296 researchers, 475 million euros research expenses, 5,098 PhD, students, 744 doctoral degrees in the 2015-2016 academic year, 296 (40%) of these were awarded to non-Belgian researchers.
- 124 spin-offs, in 2016 alone 4 spin-offs were created and 97 patents granted, while 53 licenses were obtained.
- Significant impact around the world in a wide range of research fields. In 2016, KU Leuven’s Gross Value Added amounted to over 7.4 billion euros and the university created almost 80,000 jobs.
Sources: KU Leuven brochure & KU Leuven facts and figures